Monday, September 14, 2009

El fin de Semana

Cordoba- The Mosque
Mi Profesora de Arte- Carmen
At the ruins in Cordoba


Out to tapas at a Middle Eastern place

Studying in the park.

This weekend was fabulous… full of new experiences. My feet hurt for good reason, city life is doing a number on them but it is so worth it. My walk to school is beautiful and every new place I visit and see is always another beautiful or new European sight to enjoy.

We found a cool underground type flamenco and local music place on thurdsay La Carboneria … very very cool atmosphere, with different musicians playing Sevillan music and there was one flamenco number. On the way back to our apartments I stepped in a pile of horse poo…. This was good entertainment for a restarant full of people watching me and pointing…I took a bow and laughed along with them. We got kinda lost this night but wound up seeing a lot of the cool little streets that were super cute and finding awesome restaurants to visit later…

Everyone went to Cordoba (another bigger city in the Andalucia region of Spain) this Friday to see the Mosque that is very famous:

There is such a rich history and the coolest part is that I know all about it from my art and history class. The detail is the architecture and décor are so interesting when you know all about the buiding, time period and history of it all. The symbolism is incredible.

We had a great day in Cordoba, I feel like I am learning so much from my one Profesor who I adore, Carmen…

She is an incredible teacher and I tried to walk with her everywhere during our time in Cordoba because she is full of information.

After Cordoba we went out to to tapas… (my first time in Spain) and it was so much fun. We all ordered a plate (small portions or meat or dips) and shared. We stayed on the conservative side getting some Spanish dishes and fish and chicken and sausage but it was all really great (minus the calamari and a weird bird creature). Each tapa costs 2 Euros so I had a nice light dinner for that price. The concert was great, in a beautiful garden in the Alcazar… it was in story form with Sevillan type music- very cool and kinda an Arabian feel.

Saturday we went to Cadiz nice and early. It is the oldest European city… very pretty with a great beach. We hung out and took a siesta on the beach… swam and enjoyed the sun. It is a little awkward with all the toplessness and speedo wearing men but besides that it was great. Haha.

Oh yeah…. For mom and dad and those of you wondering if study abroad is just one big party… I am consistantly doing homework in between, on busrides and during siesta time…lots of reading and such. I love being able to concentrate on one genre of classes and learn while experiencing what im learning.

7 comments:

  1. I love hearing about all of your adventures. Sounds like you are absorbing as you can which is fantastic. Sad to see that there were no details about the bull fighting... or are you trying to forget that experience. :)

    Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bull fighting post to come...this one deserves its own

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura! I feel like I am stalking your fb and blogging BUT i just can't get enough of your experiences! I loved Cordoba...did you find it fascinating?? I am so excited for all of the things you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I am dying to hear about the bullfighting. I should have given you my Merrills for all the walking your are doing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you're getting to spend good time with your profs- that is sweet! First-hand knowledge like you're getting is stuff you'll never forget. I love getting on here and finding a new post! LOVE YOU!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also- LOVE seeing pictures! I never did figure out how to do that on my blog haha....i'm too dumb...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura - looks like you're having a blast! I miss you dear! How can I be praying for you?!

    ReplyDelete