Friday, September 4, 2009

day 2

<--- gorgeous sevillan government building


Day two has gone fabulously, we had a full day of getting accustomed to the things aroun

d us and getting to know each other. I feel very comfortable at home, especially since Isabel treats us like Princesses. I wonder how long this will last though. She is so sweet. She told me not to make my bed because I am too busy studying to have chores like those. Haha. I made it this

morning and she moved the pillows and re-made it. J

Some things about Spain already make me realize how trul

y extravagent we live in the good ol’ USA. For example, you don’t leave lights on ANYWHERE when you leave a room. If I go to the bathroom for one minute I need to turn my light off in my room. Its kind of annoying but it will come naturally soon enough. Also, the weather here is RIDICULOUSLY hoooottttt. Siesta time is starting to make sense in this weather. Basically everything closes from 2-5 for siesta. They don’t actually sleep this whole time (although I might). This part of the day is so hot that it is impossible to roam the streets and everyone eats lunch at 2-3pm anyway.

<---part of the group/tour guide Martin

Today, after a morning of orientation (I love the organization of this program), I went out on the streets to get money and buy some necessities. I roamed for a looong time and got very hot and tired only to find my ATM card needed to be fixed (thanks mom for doing that, you’re the best). Later on I found some internet outside the school and sent some emails and posted a blog post from day 1. I went home, took a short nap and then we had a fantastic tour of the city by a local guy that the school hired. He showed us all the historic buildings and important places to visit around here. My group was awesome and we had a good t

ime taking pictures and exploring. Chenoa and I made sure to take note of places to return to. These include some great little parques, places with benches and trees and walkways, and some restaurants, flamenco places, tapas bars, ice cream stores and museums/cool important sites.

<----good friends already! Chenoa and I in front of the Cathedral.


I am so excited with all that is going on I almost forgot that I have classes that will be starting Monday! Ah. Tomorrow is registration and some more orientation and then we are making plans to s

ee bull fights and visit the beach this weekend. The bull fighting arena here in Seville is the most famous one in Spain, they said all the big bullfighters want to fight here in order to become more popular. Pretty cool. Also, the president’s residence is here, this confused me but there is a huge garden around it that we are going to go check out sometime soon. So much to do and the great thing is there is SO MUCH TIME!



....


day 3


i am registered for classes... got into all the ones i wanted. i am excited! pizza party in the parque tonight and maybe beach tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got the classes you wanted. Sounds like you had a great tour. I appreciate organization as much as you so I am happy for you that everything is going smoothly. (Well except for the money thing)

    So Siesta Time... Looks like you were made to live in Spain. This I must admit is a great motivating factor for me to want to come and visit :)

    Have fun exploring and enjoy pizza in the parque!!!!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going well! Your comment about the lights brings back memories for me. My first shower in my apt, I tried to keep it sooo short (less than 5 minutes) and my Señora had a conniption saying that they couldn't afford to waste so much water - rinse...soap up...rinse off..and out! Yikes...that was huge culture shock for me. I did find out later that not everyone's "familia" was so "tacaña" but there is a much bigger awareness of resources/utilities like that...so much more expensive than here.

    Love the updates...keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh ... after chatting with you online this morning I am SO JEALOUS. I am glad you are there ...did I mention that I am jealous?

    ReplyDelete