Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Arrived in Vienna

After very little sleep {maybe 2 hours through the night} I have arrived in London Heathrow airport. I have never been fond of the idea of visiting London but my mind has been changed from this airport experience. The view of London from and surrounding area from the plane was B-E-A-utiful. Seriously. {The sunrise might have helped.} And besides that, the accent, which I had previously assumed would annoy me, is actually awesome and I love it. British people are intriguing- in a funny way… for some reason they seem like fake people to me. Not in a rude way, they are just so snoody and smiley and teethy and accenty. J

Anyway-- I am feeling the peek of anxiety and nerves as I approach a time where I will be in Vienna, alone, not speaking the language and finding a bus to Brno, Czech Republic. It seems random, going to the Czech.. in fact a lady sitting next to me in London informed me she was going to Rome and was pleased when her destination seemed cooler than mine. Well Mrs. London Teeth, I have been to Rome and I didn’t love it. I am excited to see a new part of Europe.. outside the romance language section of the world. Although, to be honest, I would love to walka couple gates down and jump the flight to Madrid. AHHH I miss Spain more than ever right NOW. I haven’t been to a country where I couldn’t understand the language for an extended period of time…. Pray for me.

Cheers to new adventures, new lessons and new insights.

….

Recent Update: Vienna has free WIFI! I am too tired and nervous to get up and explore, plus I actually have TWO backpacks right now because one has things I will be getting rid of in Brno. So I am not a cool chick with a backpackers backpack but instead a ridiculous looking person with a small backpack and a big one. Yep, I’m a loser. Here I sit, Vienna, Austria.

All of my fears came true when I walked off the plane. I had taken my contacts out, an attempt to sleep. I NEVER have problems sleeping- but it didn’t help. So, I walked off the plane BLIND and practically deaf because I couldn’t understand a dang thing. Everyone all of a sudden switched from English to German and I was left in the dust. {stupid Americans, so uneducated in languages} Anyway, I think I will be okay, I found free internet, am attempting to take in the Austrian air as I wait for my colleagues trying not to fall asleep because I have a ridiculous amount of cash in my bag.

This is so much fun and it gives me a rush to be so scared and excited but it would be so much more fun with one other person… so I am glad that my plans after Czech will be with someone else J.

Familiar things thus far: WC- thank you Europe! Water closet always stands for bathroom. McCafe- McDonalds is so much classier in Europe. Euros- love them and hate them all at the same time.

And the Italian couple sitting across from me, I can understand more of what they’re saying than what the German guy next to me is saying.

To be continued…

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm so glad I still had your blog in my reader list..I had no idea you were off again :) That's so great! How long are you in the Czech Republic for? I spent a few days in Prague and I have to say it was one of my favorite cities in all of Europe (granted that was a long time ago, I'm sure it's only better now). Totally cooler that Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Laura!! Soo many new adventures for you!!! I'll be praying for you :) AND I'm psyched that you started up your blog again - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!!!! Glad you made it!!!!!


    I MISS YOU!!!!!!


    Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that I am that person you will be traveling with after Czech! :) :) :)

    I love that you loved London. That gives me hope for the future. British accents are excellent for sure.

    Mrs. London Teeth? I cackled for 3 solid minutes.

    Put your glasses on, pull that cash a little closer to your person, and keep eavesdropping on the Italians. :)

    ReplyDelete